Who is wegree?
Wegree Ltd (company registered in England & Wales #12959549 - ICO registration ZA884482) and work under the name wegree. .
Any account you have created on any wegree branded platform is hereinafter referred to as ‘your account’. Any account on the platform will be referred to as ‘an account’.
This notice policy explains how and why we use your personal information when you open a wegree account and use our app, or services with wegree.
If you have a question about anything else not covered within the data policy then please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The information we hold about you and how we use it
Information you give us through the wegree app
When you sign up for a wegree account
- Personal details like your name
- Contact details like your email address and phone number
When you sign up for or use our services
- Details you give us which we pass to our partners when you let us know we’re interested in their services.
- Answers you give to surveys about wegree and our services
Information we collect or generate if you get in touch
When you get in touch we collect the following information so we can answer your questions or take action.
- The email address you use and the contents of your email (and any attachments)
- Public details from your social media profile (like Facebook, LinkedIn or twitter) if you reach out to us via these platforms and the contents of your messages or posts to us
Information we collect or generate when you use the app and our services
We collect this information to give you services in a safe and lawful way, and to keep improving them. This includes:
- Details about services from us and our partners that you express interest in
- Details about how you use our app
Information we collect from your phone
- The mobile network and operating system you use, so we can analyse how our app works and fix any issues.
- Your IP address and device ID for security reasons (we’ll link your mobile phone number with your device).
- Your mobile advertising ID, so we can share it with companies that help us with advertising online. You can reset this ID or limit tracking in ‘Settings’ on your phone.
- Your contact list so that we can identify who already has a wegree account to invite those who don’t. We will always ask for your consent, your data is yours and we will never store it.
Information we get from external sources
We may also collect information about you from public sources for Anti Money Laundering reasons or market research. This includes:
- Official public records, like the Electoral Register or Companies House
- Information published by the press or on social media.
Our reasons for using your information
European Data protection laws say we need to have a lawful basis for using your personal data. At least one of the following must apply: contractual or legal duty, legitimate interest, public interest, vital individual interest or consent. In this section, we explain which one we rely on to use your data in a certain way.
We need to use your data for a contract we have with you, or to enter into a contract with you.
We use details about you to:
- give you the services we agreed to in line with our terms and conditions.
- send you messages about your account and other services you use if you get in touch, or we need to tell you about something.
- exercise our rights under contracts we’ve entered into with you, like managing, collecting and recovering money you owe us.
- investigate and resolve complaints and other issues.
We need to use your data to comply with the law.
- confirm your identity when you sign up or get in touch.
- keep records of information we hold about you in line with legal requirements.
When it’s in our ‘legitimate interest’.
We need to use your data for our legitimate interests, or those of a third party. This means using data in a way that you might expect us to, for a reason which is in your and/or our (or a third party’s) interest and which doesn't involve overriding your privacy rights.
Product development and marketing. We:
- tell you about products and services through the app or other channels, like social media companies, based on how you use our products and services and other information we hold about you. We do this so we can make sure our marketing is useful. That includes instructing platforms to show or not show wegree adverts to existing customers. We don’t share any identifying information with social media companies other than your mobile advertising ID. You can disable or reset your mobile advertising ID in your device’s operating system.
- track, analyse and improve the services we give you and other customers and how you respond to ads we show. We may ask for feedback if you’ve shown interest in a service. We do this so that we can make our products better and understand how to market them.
Security and business management.
- Protect the rights, property or safety of us, our customers or others.
- carry out security and maintenance checks to make sure our app, website and other services run smoothly for you.
- manage wegree’s business risk and financial affairs, and protect our customers and staff.
Companies that give services to us.
- Share your information with companies so they can help us provide our services (see ‘Who we share your data with’ below).
We’ll ask for your consent to:
- tell you about our products and services, and those of our partners by email or push notification if we think they’re of interest to you. You can unsubscribe from these by email or via the app.
- show your profile picture in the app if you add one.
- show your profile picture and name to wegree contacts in their app, provided they have your phone number.
- Share information about you with companies we work with when we need your permission (see ‘Who we share your data with’ below).
You don’t have to share information about yourself if you don’t want to. But if you don’t, you may not be able to use some (or any) of our services.
Who we share your data with
Companies that give services to us
Here we mean companies that help us provide services you use, and need to process details about you for this reason. We share as little information as we can and encrypt and/or make it impossible for you to be identified by the recipient where possible (for instance by using a User ID rather than your name).
- cloud computing power and storage providers like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud.
- our authentication and authorisation provider Auth0.
- our business intelligence and analytics platform provider Mixpanel.
- companies that help us with functional analytics (to help us solve technical issues with the app for instance).
- companies that help us with marketing (but we will not share identifiable personal data with third parties for their own direct marketing unless you give us permission, and you can opt-out any time).
- software companies that we use for emailing you like Mailchimp, or for processing and storing email communications with you
- companies that help us with customer support
Anyone you give us permission to share your data with. We tell you in the app when we need your consent to share your data with:
- companies that introduce their own services via the wegree app, like escrow or professional services.
- other users you want to create agreements with.
- other apps.
- people you’ve asked to represent you, like solicitors.
Law enforcement and other external parties.
We may share your details with:
- authorities that spot and stop modern slavery, money laundering, terrorism and tax evasion if the law says we have to, or if it’s necessary for other reasons.
- the police, courts or dispute resolution bodies if we have to.
- any other third parties where necessary to meet our legal obligations.
We may also share your details with people or companies if there’s a corporate restructure, merger, acquisition or takeover.
Other wegree Group companies.
When we make automated decisions
We sometimes use computers to make decisions. We do this for deciding if:
- we can give you an account based on your age, residency, nationality and other circumstances.
You can ask for a member of the team to review a decision via email, if your application for a wegree account was rejected, you can ask us to check this decision by emailing email@example.com
How long we keep your information
We keep most of your data as long as you’re using wegree, and for 6 years after that to comply with the law and if we face a legal challenge. In some circumstances, like cases of anti-money laundering or fraud, we may keep data longer if we need to (that’s in our legitimate interest) and/or the law says we have to.
To work out how long we keep different categories of data, we consider why we hold it, how sensitive it is, how long the law says we need to keep it for, and what the risks are.
You have a right to:
- access the personal data we hold about you, or to get a copy of it.
- ask for a copy of your personal data in a portable (machine-readable) format or make us send it to someone else.
- make us correct inaccurate data.
- ask us to delete, 'block' or suppress your data, though for legal reasons we might not always be able to do it.
- say no to us using your data for direct marketing and in certain other ‘legitimate interest’ circumstances.
- withdraw any consent you’ve given us.
- ask a member of staff to review a computer-made (automated) decision.
To do any of these things, please contact us through the app or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If your application for a wegree account was rejected and you want us to review that decision, please email email@example.com. EU data protection laws, like GDPR, give us one month to respond.
Where we store or send your data
We may transfer and store the data we collect from you to organisations outside the European Economic Area (‘EEA’). When we do this, we make sure that your data is protected and that:
- The European Commission says the country or organisation has adequate data protection
- We have agreed to standard data protection clauses approved by the European Commission with the organisation.
If you’d like a copy of the relevant data protection clauses, please get in touch by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to make a complaint
If you have a complaint about how we use your personal information, please contact us through the app or send an email to email@example.com and we’ll do our best to fix the problem. You can also reach our Data Protection Officer in these ways.
If you’re still not happy, you can refer your complaint with a data protection supervisory authority in the EU country you live or work, or where you think a breach has happened. The UK’s supervisory authority is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). For more details, you can visit their website at ico.org.uk.
Changes to this notice
We will post any changes we make to our privacy notice on this page, and if they are significant changes we will let you know by email.